RE: Getting info across databases...

From: Michal Kozlowski (mkozlowsk..MVProjects.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 11:18:27 EST

    Okay here is another quirk that is definetly related, the original problem I posted created as you know the query

    SELECT t0.Disabled, t0.FirstName, t0.LastName, t0.LoginName, t0.UserId, t0.UnitId FROM dbo._UserInfo t0 WHERE t0.UnitId = NULL

    and this was going from
    Discipline.externalId -> _UserInfo.UnitId

    now there is another relation that links user's to discipline and that is a double join table, which I don't flatten.

    Discipline.id ->
            ProjectDisciplin.disciplineId
            ProjectDisicpline.id ->
                    ProjectDisciplineUser.projectDisciplineId
                    ProjectDisciplineUser.userId ->
                            _UserInfo.UserId

    now here's the kicker, when I create a new ProjectDisciplineUser relationship, it creates but the problem is that it tries to updata the _UserInfo.UnitId to NULL. Now this is a locked object as it is on a seperate live database, so it give me an exception. But the error is cause by an UPDATE query that is updating the UserId(to whatever userId i'm setting) and the UnitId(to NULL).

    Now when I remove the link in the cayenne files between
    Discipline.externalId -> _UserInfo.UnitId
    everything works great. This is the link that created my original problem/posting. I have a very strong feeling these a related but I really don't know why the field would be set to NULL.

    Thanks for all this help.

    Cheers
    Mike