mostly shared model

From: Bryan Lewis (brya..aine.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 10:46:17 EST

    I'm looking for a little advice on the preferred practice for sharing a
    model's classes among apps while allowing differences in configuration.

    We have several apps sharing one database. I've created a single
    "model" (one DataMap and set of classes) that's reused by all the apps,
    which has been working great. The model is deployed as model.jar,
    separate from the web-app wars.

    Now I find that I need to make a small app-specific configuration: one
    app needs to use optimistic locking while the others don't. I looked
    for a way to do the reconfiguration from code (that is, without creating
    multiple DataMaps) and found one option: call setDeclaredLockType() on
    each ObjEntity. But that affects all the apps using the shared model.
    I was starting to look at the API for creating custom Configurations,
    but that feels like it might be the hard way. I'm hoping someone else
    is dealing with a similar situation.

    Thanks,
    Bryan