preferred practice for handling referential integrity errors?

From: Bryan Lewis (brya..aine.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 12:57:54 EST

    Our database has an occasional referential integrity problem, usually
    from records written years ago. When running with our usual Oracle
    adapter we haven't had any troubles with such errors; Cayenne creates a
    transient object. A few days ago I copied a subset of our data to a
    local Postgres database, so I could do work even if I couldn't connect
    to the servers. (Getting ready for a bad winter in Maine, I guess. :-)
    I was surprised to see CayenneRuntimeExceptions saying "Error resolving
    fault, no matching row exists...". Why would an exception be thrown
    with Postgres and not with Oracle? I didn't see an obvious explanation
    in the source code.

    More importantly, how do people handle this? If I wanted to throw code
    at it I could override DataContext.performQuery() and
    CayenneDataObject.readProperty(), but there's probably an easier way.

    Thanks,
    Bryan