Re: PK generation with rich clients ...

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 12:12:44 EST

    =?iso-8859-1?Q? J=FCrgen=20Saar ?= <jsaa..eb.de> wrote:
    > we are planning a Swing GUI for rich clients.
    >
    > There is one thing I'm not sure:
    > Does the PK Generation a correct job,
    > when there are many clients active?

    Yes, provided either you use the default cayenne PK generation or provided
    that the native database PK generation works multithreaded/multisession
    (which I believe is also the case). Or to put it another way, the PK
    Generation is done inside the database, so it's irrelevent how many clients
    you have.

    "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <michael_gentr..anniemae.com> wrote:
    > This shouldn't be a problem. Cayenne caches blocks of primary keys by
    default (I think 20 at a time -- this would be a cache of 20 for each table
    at a time).

    While this is true, it's done for performance reasons and doesn't impact the
    correctness of PK generation.

    -Mike