invalid packet type, DefaultResultIterator

From: Jin Lee (jinsle..mail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 14:01:25 EST

    Hey all,

    This is a continuation of my last post labeled "Cayenne, tapestry,
    tomcat plumbing". I've tweaked my code quite alot, consulted the
    tapestry boards, and read as much as I could, but I still can't figure
    out what is quite happening with my application. Here is the summary
    of the problem:

    There is a table called TblPerson, which contains around 500 rows.
    I've scaled down the ObjEntity and the DbEntity so that the only 3
    fields I grab from the databse are PersonID, FirstName, and LastName.

    Here is what is happening:

    When I restart the tomcat server, the application runs fine. The page
    does take about 5 seconds on average to load, but I believe that is
    because the names are populating an html <select> field and it takes
    time to render.

    Somewhere between 10 to 15 reloads of the same page, the application
    starts to break down. The most common error I see is a
    OutofMemoryError. Occasionally, I will get a different error, which
    is:

    java.sql.SQLException: TDS Protocol error: Invalid packet type 0xa
    .
    .
    .
    org.objectstyle.cayenne.access.DefaultResultIterator.close(DefaultResultIterator.java:363)

    I am accessing SQLServer using the jtds JDBC driver (jdts.sourceforge.net).

    Here is the catch: Even if I reload the web application, it still
    continues to not work. It is only after I've stopped and restarted
    tomcat is when it will start working, 10-15 times before it breaks
    again.

    Without knowing the inner workings of either technology, I am thinking
    the error lies in:
    1) connection pooling
    2) reusable components in tapestry

    I've also increased the JVM memory settings (using the -Xmx flag) to 256 megs.

    This error is very specific and I know this is a longshot, but any
    advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you all very much,

    Jin Lee