Re: Testing Spring + Cayenne Integration / Architectural Doubts

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 16:37:32 EST

    I never suggested using DTO and I can continue arguing my point, but I
    won't ;-) I can see how Cayenne can achieve much wider acceptance if we
    simply add POJO to the feature list. The trick is to find a good
    compromise between current Cayenne featureset (automatic property change
    tracking, faults, DataContext abstraction) and the reality of a Java
    object that doesn't have any contextual reference. So I guess POJOCayenne
    will have many of the problems of Hibernate.

    What are the options... Custom implementation of current DataObject
    interface is possible, but not a reasonable thing to ask (besides there is
    a CayenneDataObject already, so what's the point). We can also "go JDO"
    with bytecode or sourcecode enhancements of the POJOs, but I'd rather
    not... Or we can strip down DataObject interface to something that can be
    easily added to any class... or get rid of it alltogether.

    I can't say anything about the schedule for this feature, as I am
    overloaded with work now. But if anyone has a need and desire for it to
    happen, volunteers are always welcome. If there are indeed volunteers, why
    don't we take this discussion to cayenne-devel and I'll share more ideas
    on how we can proceed?

    Andrus