1.2M2 and web app configuration..

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 00:21:04 EST

    We are getting dangerously overwhelmed with different (often
    undocumented) ways to obtain a DataContext in a web app... Listeners,
    filters, init servlets, thread-bound vs. session contexts, tapestry
    visit context ... did I mention Spring? In 1.2 M2 I did some cleanup of
    the code, and what's more important - attempted to document things in
    some consistent manner. Make sure you read the new deployment chapter.

    In short:

      * no more BasicServletConfiguration, use new ServletUtil instead
      * check out "cayenne.configuration.path" parameter (chapter 12.3.3.) -
    it was around for a while but wasn't documented anywhere
      * check out WebApplicationContextFilter (chapter 12.2.4), previously
    available from examples - if you can't decide what deployment strategy
    is best for you chances are this one is.

    To make it even simpler I created a dummy project that deploys the same
    model in 3 different ways, demonstrating how deployment should be done
    (I personally run it from eclipse using JettyRunner plugin by creating
    3 run configurations using the same project but different contexts):

    http://objectstyle.org/downloads/cayenne/demos/webapp-tests.tar.gz

    Andrus