Wicket and Tapestry was: [Cayenne vs. EOF...]

From: Jonathan Carlson (Jonathan.Carlso..atun.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 12:02:22 EST

    Just to mention... Wicket is a Tapestry-like web framework that hasn't
    reached 1.0 yet, but seems much simpler to learn than Tapestry while
    still using a pure HTML markup like Tapestry. When they get the UserDoc
    rewritten to reflect all the changes they've made, it will be hard to
    beat. (IMHO :-) The original creater worked at Sun on the Swing
    toolset (don't hold it against him :-) and is a good documenter.

    http://wicket.sf.net

    - Jonathan

    P.S. No, I'm not a Wicket developer, but I'm a Tapestry-approach
    admirer who has been very pleased with how quickly I've become
    productive with Wicket.

    >>> michael_gentr..anniemae.com 2005-02-11 9:51:07 AM >>>

    Just to beat on the drums some more, Cayenne is my new EOF. With the
    1.1 version, Cayenne really became capable of replacing EOF (optimistic
    locking, etc) for my needs. The GUI modeler is useful (compare to open
    source ORM frameworks). The framework and modeler are under active
    development. Plus, you have the source code. Let me repeat: You have
    the source code! I've been able to step through the code in the Eclipse
    debugger to figure out what was going on (usually my mistake, but
    sometimes you catch a Cayenne bug and when you report the problem, which
    you can do with great precision, it gets fixed -- quickly). The mailing
    lists are great. There is an energy here that is missing with EOF/WO.

    I've started using Tapestry a bit, too. I'm by no means an expert, but
    it seems to be WO-like. Has some nice things compared to WO, but lacks
    some things in WO, too (can't reuse bindings is a big annoyance).
    Cayenne works great inside Tapestry. Cayenne + Tapestry + Tomcat: Free.
     Having the source code: Priceless.

    /dev/mrg