Re: Cayenne and Caché

From: João Paulo Vasconcellos (vasconcello..mail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 16:42:12 EST

    It can be used as an Object database, but it can be used otherwise. I
    am not an Caché expert, but as far as I can tell, Namespaces in caché
    are abstractions. The Data exists in one place and you have a bunch of
    translators to work with data. If your namespace is created to work
    with objects, you can use the Objects to map data, but I think
    cayenne's more natural. Besides, in the future, all this will be
    converted to Oracle anyway, so it's better to stick with cayenne.

    My problem was that the namespace I had access to were created using
    the RDBMS translator (now discontinued). Looks like with this
    translator, you need to supply MAMPS functions to do what you want
    (people here complained that the Namespace does not even allowed
    UNIONs). However, in the other namespace, with object translator, you
    can do anything you want.

    As the RDBMS stuff is no more and as the company will change
    everything to Oracle in the near future (next 1~3 years) we had
    decided to go along with cayenne.

    Just to explain: Caché looks good and have good java/.Net integration,
    providing you with many ways to do the same thing, and if the project
    would stay in Caché I would be using its object interface.

    --
    João Paulo Vasconcellos
    MSN: vasconcello..mail.com