application scope for a datacontext ?

From: Julien Vignali (julien.vignal..im.hcuge.ch)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 10:18:17 EST

    Hi there!
    I am currently developing a web application using Cayenne that makes
    read-only accesses to a database, with a Level 1 caching (no cache sharing).
    I am thinking about a way to have only one DataContext serving only one
    ObjectStore so every user would then benefit from everybody's past
    requests.

    Is it possible and a good idea to change a Session-Bound DataContext to
    an Application-Bound DataContext or should I stick to session-bound
    datacontexts ?
    If yes, how can I do it and is it thread-safe? How to prevent the cache
    from growing infinitely?

    Also, our database will also be frequently updated by other
    applications... How can the datacontext be aware of those changes?

    Thanks in advance...

    --
    Julien Vignali
    julien.vignal..im.hcuge.ch