Re: abstract superclasses

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 09:46:29 EST

    > A few months back, someone posted a tool named ObjectVisualizer
    > (http://www.opensourcesoft.net) that would load cayenne classes using
    > introspection into a visualizer tool. A big problem with it was that
    > it created objects at the CLASS level rather than at the _CLASS level,
    > causing all sorts of side effects with business logic in the CLASS file
    > when it could have all been avoided using the _CLASS file. Of course
    > it possibly could have also been done using CayenneDataObject, but
    > there's no easy way to pull out the keys.

    I guess Cris means _Entity classes. I don't see how directly using them is
    possible with Cayenne. Short of dynamically changing DataMap, Cayenne does
    not care about the class hierarchy. All it knows about a given class is
    the lowest subclass (the one mapped in the model) and the fact that it
    implements DataObject. Everything else is class generation details and
    have no runtime consequences...

    Having an EOGenericRecord analog (aka generic DataObject) is a different
    story... I think we have a Jira issue for it somewhere and I'd like to
    implement it at some point.

    Andrus