Re: DataObject becomes hollow when passed through a tapestry DirectLink

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 21:25:18 EST

    On Mar 30, 2005, at 9:11 PM, Craig Turner wrote:
    > Yes. The getter on my method getFirstname() returns null (incorrect)
    > before I refetch it, and the correct String after a refetch. So maybe
    > there's a break in my situation in the cache or between the object and
    > the cache. Notably, the object seems to be losing its datacontext
    > along the way, but I'm not doing anything in my code that would
    > obviously cause this.

    This is related to how deserialization is performed (this was discussed
    here and probably in other places:
    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2005/03/0105.html ).
    I don't think we have a JIRA issue though. Can you please submit a
    report, or otherwise it'll get lost again.

    > We've just been talking about thsi situation in the office, and
    > there's an easier workaround than the one I'm using above: I could
    > just pass the id into the parameters instead of the whole object and
    > then fetch the object out of a list.

    Yep, this is a good solution ... Besides you don't have to refetch (in
    a sense of doing a DB round trip), just use DataObjectUtils.objectForPK
    - it will get an object from cache or refetch as needed (so it will do
    the most efficient thing transparently), and also attach this object to
    your current DataContext.

    Andrus