Re: DataObject becomes hollow when passed through a tapestry DirectLink

From: Robert Zeigler (rdzeigl...arizona.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 21:52:11 EST

    Erik Hatcher wrote:
    > Regarding using a rich (i.e. not a String or simple type) object as a
    > parameter in a DirectLink - this is not really recommended in the
    > general sense. The URL is going to be hideous and perhaps even too long
    > for some browsers to handle.
    >
    > A trick within Tapestry, though, would be to use a custom DataSqueezer
    > that serialized only the primary key and a unique prefix, and then
    > "deserialized" by fetching again using the facility Andrus describes
    > below. I have not tried this route - have others?
    >
    > Erik

    So, I've been thinking about this approach a bit more...
    The major issue I'm seeing with this approach is that when you unsqueeze
    the object, a lookup based on the id depends on knowing which table to
    look things up from. Thus, it seems that you would either have to do one
    of two things.
    1) Write a custom adaptor for each persistent object... not fun. =)
    2) include the class info in the the url.... This is the most generic
    solution; it requires no updating later when you add new objects, start
    a new project, etc.
    3) something else that I'm missing?

    Thoughts? =)

    Robert Zeigler