updating shared cache

From: Cris Daniluk (cris.danilu..mail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 12:30:02 EDT

    I know this is a topic that has been beat to death here in the past,
    but I'm trying to determine the best way to update cached queries.

    I have several lookups stored in cached named queries, and have a
    rarely used module to update those lookups. When an object in the
    cache is modified, the lookups update immediately. However, when an
    object is added, the cache does not pick it up. To work around this, I
    would traditionally execute the query once with refreshingObjects set
    to true. The query is then set back to false.

    However, it seems like there should be a better way... is there a
    better strategy for notifying queries that they're expired? I'd rather
    go with a lazier load method so that changing the lookup table doesn't
    trigger the refreshing of the cache. Is there a way I can invalidate
    the cached results of a query in this fashion?

    Cris