Re: memory usage

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 17:53:40 EDT

    > The database I am working with has two tables with blobs. The blob
    > records are all <5MB. Those tables are mapped in my cayenne model, but
    > I am not using cayenne for those tables as I am afraid those blobs will
    > fill up the cache. Anyone know of a nice solution to using cayenne on
    > tables with blobs?

    I was planning to add streaming blobs support, so that instead of mapping
    blob or clob as byte[] or String, you'd map it to a Cayenne-provided class
    that can provide a stream on demand. Don't remember if I ever started a
    task in Jira...

    In the meantoime you can imlement your own ExtendedType
    (http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/userguide/access-stack/extended-types.html)
    that resolves LOBs on demand and doesn't store them in memory.

    Andrus