Problems with cayenne, tapestry and postgres

From: Damir Bijuklic (damirbijukli..ahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 16:43:44 EDT

    Hi,

    I have come to some strange problems that I can't seem
    to track down. It isn't strictly cayenne related but
    this seemed like a good place to start asking.

    I have a small web application that behaves
    differently in two environments.
    The first environment is windows based, with cayenne,
    tapestry, jetty and postgresql 8, sun, ibm or bea
    jvm's.
    The second environment is linux with same setup except
    sevlet container is tomcat and jvm is sun's.

    There is a simple search component which constructs
    search condition (where clause) using '
    likeIgnoreCase' clause, which translates into postgres
    ILIKE operator. The search is not working correctly on
    the linux side. For some locale specific characters it
    doesn't find entries in the database (with where field
    ILIKE '%search%'). I have tried to identify the
    problem and have changed a few things in the system
    but nothing has helped. I have goten impression from
    tomcat log's of cayenne actvity that some characters
    from html form (locale specific) are not transimted
    correctly to the server?

    Database has the same encoding set on both instances
    and windows database has been created by restoring
    backup made on linux.
    Is this possible or am I on wrong track? I have
    checked locale and file/character encoding inside
    tapestry pages and they are the same: utf-8, using
    central european (latin2, Cp1250) characters. Html
    pages generate meta http-equiv headers setting
    Content-Type charset to UTF-8.

    There is something wrong with this setup, and I'm
    chasing my tail.I don't have long experience with
    jvm-s and servlets so there might be some mechanism
    I'm missing. I appologise if this is not the best
    place to ask such questions. Any suggestions?

    Damir