RE: OT: MySQL on Mac OS 10.4

From: Gentry, Michael \(Contractor\) ("Gentry,)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 10:33:32 EDT

    I see you solved your problem, but at the risk of being called a pedant,
    I have two things to point out.

    1) If you changed permissions on /tmp on OS X, you probably changed the
    permissions of the symbolic link. /tmp on OS X is really under
    /private/tmp.

    2) The permissions of 777 on /tmp is not a good idea. If you do an "ls
    -ld /private/tmp" you should see permissions of "drwxrwxrwxt". The
    important thing here is the "t" at the end (the sticky bit) and if you
    "chmod 777 /private/tmp" (as root), it'll get rid of the "t". You want
    the "t" there since it is a security feature. Do a "man sticky" and
    read the part on sticky directories.

    /dev/mrg