Re: i18n

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 17:46:39 EDT

    > Actually translation table makes a lot of sense.

    I did use such concepts in quite a few projects. Making software in
    Switzerland requires you normally to at least support french and german.
    So i18n is mostly a requirement...

    > Internally it can use SQLTemplate to serve translated strings either
    > from a single global translation table or multiple tables (one per
    > locale), or any other strategy that makes sense (as SQLTemplate
    > allows table name to be a dynamic parameter). With this and a custom
    > code generation template we can create DataObjects with
    > internationalized properties. I really like this idea.

    I did some tests with Cayenne and never really came to an end. I must
    admit I did not do it with SQLTemplate but I tried my luck making one
    super-object as a kind of virtual representation of the object in question
    (TableGoods to stay with my example) and then writing properties to that
    super-object which are actually wrappers to the objects table and the
    translation table. Accessing the Description property gets one translation
    object with the Description of the main object. Accessing the price
    accesses the TableGoods object to get at the price value.

    But this does not work with DataViews which is very bad. I had then to
    start working on the TableModels as well. :)

    Adrian