Re: Keeping sync modeler files with db

From: Michael Gentry (Yes, I'm a Contractor) ("Michael)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 10:19:49 EDT

    His way also works database -> modeler. :-)

    This topic has come up before and, while it sounds really nifty (and it is),
    it would be extremely difficult to implement, especially across different
    database venders and especially if you want to ensure the integrity of the
    merged data set.

    The easiest way to do it is as described. Keep a set of .sql files around
    that will update your schema to a given revision. Update your model to
    match. This also makes sense in a real dev/test/acpt/prod environment. I
    would never ever ever click a ³magic² button in a GUI tool to go and update
    my production schema for me. You need precise control over that situation,
    especially when you have years and years of financial/etc data to preserve.
    Surprises are a bad thing. :-)

    /dev/mrg

    From: Erdinc Kocaman <ekocama..enduro.com>
    Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:09:26 +0300
    To: <cayenne-use..bjectstyle.org>
    Subject: RE: Keeping sync modeler files with db

    You add fields manually in modeler. Your way is from modeler to database but
    I am trying to do the opposite.
    Did you try to import changes from database using cayenne modeler import
    tool(more specifically, reengineer database schema function) ? In this case,
    information about relationships is lost.
    I add new fields to table in MSSQL enterprise manager and tried to sync
    modeler with new fields but it is somewhat problematic as I said before. I
    try to understand if there is a practical way to do this.