Re: Velocity behavior explained?

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 10:35:56 EDT

    Christian Mittendorf (christian.mittendor..reenet.de) wrote,
    > We experienced a problem with Cayenne and multiple data nodes.
    >
    > I will describe our setup first: we run multiple webapps on a tomcat.
    > The cayenne.xml
    > is stored in the shared directory, most of the third party jars are
    > also located there.
    > Cayenne-nodeps.jar is always part of each webapp.
    >
    > The setup was working fine until we added 2 more data nodes to
    > cayenne.xml. We were then
    > running into a problem that we cannot access the two new nodes, but
    > we could still use our
    > first node.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Changing our setup and moving velocity.jar into each webapp did solve
    > the problem.
    >
    > However, we would now like to understand it. What is the reason for
    > this behaviour?

    It's a classloader issue, but I don't know the specifics.

    I think it's considered a j2ee best practice to supply all jar files in the
    webapp. Otherwise, you'll experience hard-to-explain-or-debug behavor. You
    will also have a much more difficult time upgrading individual web
    applications.

    -Mike