RE: How to design such relationship? is it possible at all with caenne?

From: Gentry, Michael \(Contractor\) ("Gentry,)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 16:23:20 EDT

    Yes, it's possible.

    You have Order <->> OrderProduct <<-> Product

    Assuming you already have an "order" and an "product" in memory (in the
    same DataContext):

    DataContext dc = order.getDataContext();
    OrderProduct orderProduct =
      (OrderProduct) dc.createAndRegisterNewObject(OrderProduct.class);

    orderProduct.setOrder(order);
    orderProduct.setProduct(product);
    orderProduct.setDiscount(discount);

    dc.commitChanges();

    Be sure to setup your Cayenne model with the appropriate
    relationships/attributes and it should work fine (it has for me before).
    Of course, make sure your discount allows nulls so you can omit it if
    not present (or set it to zero/etc).

    /dev/mrg