Locking problem

From: Gili (cowwo..bs.darktech.org)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 16:07:18 EDT

    Hi,

            I've got a problem and I'm hoping you guys could propose a solution.

            I've got a server-side cache. It consists of two tables. One contains a
    list of cache entries. The other contains the # of cache requests and
    the # of cache hits.

            On every single cache request, I need to insert/remove entries from the
    list in the first table and increment the # of requests in the second
    table. I have many clients trying to hit the cache at the same time so I
    get a lot of collisions.

            I'm guessing optimistic locking does not make sense here. Maybe I'm
    wrong. Maybe I could somehow redesign to avoid this problem? What do you
    guys recommend?

    Thank you,
    Gili

    --