Re: JForum for Cayenne now up

From: Gili (cowwo..bs.darktech.org)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 09:57:28 EDT

            Well ;) You guys can't have it both ways...

            Mailing lists tend to work well for a smaller number of posts. Once the
    majority of mail received does not directly involve someone they tend to
    get annoyed. With forums, you get to pick and choose which discussion
    threads to join but people miss the ability to reply directly from their
    favorite mailer.

            I personally don't mind it either way because Thunderbird provide a
    decent threading capability which prevents me from becoming overwelmed
    by too much mail (although I'm slightly leaning toward forum-based
    discussion). On the other hand, others on this list seemed to have
    become annoyed by the amount of entries I was posting so I moved my
    discussions over to the forums.

            I'm going to contact the author of JForum and request a feature that
    allows you to monitor a forum for new posts and receive email
    notification. Hopefully this will make most email-oriented people happy.
    Aside from that, I don't know that we can sync the two, mostly because
    the mailing list people *don't* want to receive the content on the
    forum. <shrug>

    Gili