How exact do we want it ? / Best Practice Design ?

From: Korbinian Bachl (korbinia..hiskyworld.de)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 13:25:21 EST

    Hi All,

    Im still learning cayenne and during some tests a question came finally into
    my mind:
    "How detailed and fine grained do we want a Database to be?"

    What i mean - think you're currently working on a webshop for Widget Inc -
    this one has very very different products like e.g: Cars, Houses as well as
    Software (all made by Widget Inc ;) - of course)

    Drilled down to the data layer there are 2 possibilities to model it:

    Model 1 (Fine):

    Class Product (Price, Item_ID, Small_Description)
    Class Cars extend Product (Horsepower, Speed..)
    Class Houses extend Product (Height, Length, Floors..)
    Class Software extend Product (OS-System, Processor...)

    Model 2 (Rough):

    Class Product (Price, Item_ID, Small_Description,
    MEGA_BIG_Description,Category_ID)
    Class Category (Category_ID, Category_Name)

    If you look at these 1 has very much detail wich means load of programmer
    work and very unflexible if widget introduces e.g. Ships as products - while
    2 has very few work for programmer and a hard design to search for sth.
    detailed

    What do you see as a "Best Practice Design" aproach for such a Project ?

    Greetings,

    Korbinian