CMS followup - Confluence

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 08:03:12 EST

    I did some preliminary evaluation of the CMS products that we
    discussed here. I don't see a clear winner yet and will keep looking.

    One thing I discovered is that Confluence 2.0 is indeed much better
    that 1.3 that we are using now. I am planning to do an upgrade soon,
    so that we can poke around and learn the new features. I still need
    to resolve a few issues with Atlassian though. Namely they seem to
    have a 200 registered users limit for our license; we already
    exceeded this number. But there is also a few things that look like
    bugs in 2.0RC2.

    I am still not convinced that we can use Confluence for the main site
    without some major programming, but I think we should consider
    migrating our docs building to it. I guarantee that Modeler Guide
    will progress much faster if we put it on Wiki!

    Confluence supports export of page sub-trees to HTML or PDF, so
    theoretically we can write an Ant script that builds release
    documentation from the live site. One thing I haven't figured out yet
    is how to make a copy of a page subtree to branch a version (so that
    we can maintain documentation for different releases independently),
    but we have direct access to the DB after all, if worse comes to
    worse we can do it via SQL.

    Oh, and now that I am running Confluence on Tomcat/PostgreSQL on the
    same machine as PHP/MySQL CMS's - the difference in performance is
    stunning... and it is not in favor of LAMP...

    Andrus