Re: Thread Bound DataContexts - Bad Pattern?

From: Tore Halset (halse..vv.ntnu.no)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 13:59:15 EST

    On Dec 5, 2005, at 18:04, Joel Trunick wrote:

    > I've been putting static methods on my domain objects to perform
    > things
    > like queries (for that object), and even simple methods load an
    > instance
    > by ID (returning an instance of the proper type). I find this
    > organization very straightforward to use from a client perspective.

    I am doing the same, but with DataContext bound to a tapestry Visit
    object. Just include the context as a argument to the static methods.

    > 1) When do you ever need multiple datacontexts? (right now from web
    > app)

    I use extra DataContext to generate some reports as it is very nice
    to be able to throw away the DataContext afterwords to save memory.

    > 2) Is the thread bound context a limitation?

    I have not used thread bound context that much. You will have to be
    sure that the contexts are the same as any data objects that live
    longer than a single request/response. *Or* move objects between
    contexts.

    Regards,
      - Tore.