object binding

From: Cris Daniluk (cris.danilu..mail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 11:52:55 EST

    I'm working on an internal project to bind a rather complex XML schema
    to an object graph (XML encoding isn't sufficient). It is fairly
    straightforward using the XML binding frameworks, except when
    relationships get involved - particularly toMany relationships

    A typical XML binding framework will is looking for a
    setRelationshipArray(List) method. When standing up new objects, this
    is sufficient - but when binding to an existing object graph, the
    setter has to intelligently synchronize the List to the relationship
    to avoid unnecessary (and potentially invalid) insert/deletes. This
    also is a problem with WebWork's type conversion... in the past, I've
    addressed it with WebWork by creating a "synchronizing" setter as
    described above, but it is kludgy at best. It is at the peak of
    kludginess when many-to-many's are used with a join object, because
    the added object is likely not registered with the context (and
    therefore hollow)

    It seems like there might be a better way to do this without
    triggering phantom delete/inserts, but it isn't immediately obvious to
    me... has anybody come up with particularly clever ways to address
    this in the past?

    Cris