CayenneServlet response appears not to be GC'ed

From: Marek Wawrzyczny (marek_wawrzyczn..nternode.on.net)
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 03:59:35 EDT

    Hi all,

    We are getting close to releasing a preview version of our software that utilizes Multi-tier Cayenne.
    We have started to stress test it and we have hit a problem, something on the server us consuming
    memory and never releases it.
    I tried profiling the server application and it appears that RawData objects (our first hunch) on the
    server are being GC'ed correctly. There is no indication of excessive instances of any class, Cayenne
    or not.

    The one thing not being monitored by the profiler is servlets. Judging by the memory usage jumps,
    I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the HessianServlet responses that are not being GC'ed - the
    increases seem to correspond to data requests.

    The particular piece of GUI tested fetches a list of ~25,000 records from a table into a shared context with
    paging enabled, page size is 100 records.
    The used memory in the JVM jumps by 30+ Mb as we traverse through all the records. The JVM never
    releases that memory.

    We have been through our code and we are definitely not keeping any references to instances of
    servlets, requests or responses.

    We are using Jetty as the server.

    I was hoping someone might have some pointers before I jump into writing a profiling container for
    the servlet. Any help appreciated.

    Regards,

    Marek Wawrzyczny