Re: Correctly implementing optimistic concurrency management in Cayenne for web-based computing

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 12:05:39 EDT

    Eric,

    I don't have time to go through all your code, but let me comment on
    possible pitfalls.

    Sometimes frontend frameworks cause "phantom" updates, when
    populating objects from the form values. By phantom I mean the
    equivalent of this: object.setX(object.getX()). They are cleared on
    commit and should not generate events for the peer context, however
    when you inspect an uncommitted DataContext, they will show up in
    "modifiedObjects" collection.

    We discussed various options to handle that, but decided to put off
    any solution till future releases [1]. Right now you can check for
    "phantoms" and discard them inside "writeProperty", but this has its
    own limitations as discussed in the Jira issue that I mentioned.

    Also there is a bug in the latest Beta, reported by Bryan [2]. This
    may or may not be related.

    Andrus

    [1] http://issues.apache.org/cayenne/browse/CAY-512
    [2] http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2006/04/0276.html