non-SQL query to find distinct relationships in an entity's table?

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 14:59:02 EDT

    I'm building a search panel, and I want to populate one of the search
    criteria fields with the distinct list of values in the table being
    searched.

    Basically, the DataObject results returned from:

    select * from OTHER_TABLE
        where OTHER_TABLE_PK in
            (select distinct(OTHER_TABLE_FK) from SEARCHED_TABLE)

    Is there a way to do this other than using SQL Template?