Cayenne Modeler - Reengineer Database Schema issue

From: Rashid Khan (rashidk..mail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 06:29:21 EDT

     Hello there,

    I am using cayenne-1.2 final release.

    I am having a problem using Reengineer Database Schema option in the
    modeler.

    Let's say I have a User table with columns (user_id, username, password). I
    use Reengineer Database Schema to generate the db and object entities for
    the User table. Everything works fine.

    Now let's say I add a new column called 'user_description' to the User table
    (ie. drop the existing user table and create a new user table with the
    additional column). I want to generate the db entity again. So, I click on
    Reengineer Database Schema and choose to overwrite existing User db entity,
    the User *db* entity gets generated and replaces the old one. However, the
    User *object* entity does not get replaced. Instead a new object entity
    called *User1* is created.

    What I would prefer is that I should be able to sync the old User object
    enitity with the new User db entity. However, because of the generation of
    *User1* object entity this does not seem to be possible. When I click on
    "sync ObjEntity with DbEntity" in the *User* object entity I get
    NullPointerException. Is there a way to tell cayenne modeler to generate
    only db entity using Reengineer Database Schema and then sync the old object
    entity with the new db entity?

    I hope my question is clear.

    Thanks,

    Rashid Khan