Is matchExp case insensitive or not?

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 17:20:34 EDT

    I need a matchExp which is case insensitve. When I run against MS
    Access, then matchExp is indeed case insensitive, whereas when I run
    against Derby, it is not.

    likeIgnoreCaseExp is *almost* what I'm looking for, but it allows wildcards.

    In my app, I do a matchExp(Users.PASSWORD_PROPERTY, password), where
    using likeIgnoreCaseExp would work much too well :-) Don't even ask
    why the passwords are stored in cleartext in the database.

    If I could find a way to safely escape the password, then I could use
    likeIgnoreCaseExp, i.e . "%" and other special chars for
    likeIgnoreCaseExp should be escaped so they are treated as literal
    chars.

    Problems with writing an escape fn from scratch:

    - how do I know that I've written a complete and correct escape function?
    - how do I know that the code I wrote won't break with improvements to
    likeExp() and likeIgnoreCaseExp()?

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com