Re: Is matchExp case insensitive or not?

From: Joshua Pyle (joshua.t.pyl..mail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 18:00:41 EDT

    I Oracle you cam also do

    UPPER(parameter) = UPPER(value)

    then there is no % issue!

    Cayene does not have a built in way to do this. An
    equalsIgnoreCaseExp would be nice but must have database independant
    issues.

    --
    Joshua T. Pyle
    Go has always existed.

    On 8/1/06, Mike Kienenberger <mkienen..mail.com> wrote: > matchExp case sensitivity behavior is database dependent, as you've found. > > I don't think there's any database-independent way to do > case-sensitivity-specific queries, which is why likeIgnoreCaseExp() is > used. > > You're probably better off writing custom sql to handle this if you > can't be sure you've dealt with escaping. > > For example, Oracle handles it by using "UPPER(parameter) like > UPPER(value)" (if I remember offhand). > > Another possiblity is to use likeIgnoreCaseExp to pull in results, but > then go in and manually filter out anything that's not an exact match > in your code. That's probably the safest bet and the most portable. > Of course, you then have to deal with the possiblity that someone's > password is "%" > > On 8/1/06, Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harbo..ylin.com> wrote: > > I need a matchExp which is case insensitve. When I run against MS > > Access, then matchExp is indeed case insensitive, whereas when I run > > against Derby, it is not. > > > > likeIgnoreCaseExp is *almost* what I'm looking for, but it allows wildcards. > > > > In my app, I do a matchExp(Users.PASSWORD_PROPERTY, password), where > > using likeIgnoreCaseExp would work much too well :-) Don't even ask > > why the passwords are stored in cleartext in the database. > > > > If I could find a way to safely escape the password, then I could use > > likeIgnoreCaseExp, i.e . "%" and other special chars for > > likeIgnoreCaseExp should be escaped so they are treated as literal > > chars. > > > > Problems with writing an escape fn from scratch: > > > > - how do I know that I've written a complete and correct escape function? > > - how do I know that the code I wrote won't break with improvements to > > likeExp() and likeIgnoreCaseExp()? > > > > > > -- > > Øyvind Harboe > > http://www.zylin.com > > >