Re: [announce] Click Framework 1.0 is now available

From: Lindsay Steele (lgsteel..mail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 19:15:05 EDT

    My Take:

    Click - Came about because of a perception that early versions of
    Tapestry were a little confusing and the fact that everyone wants to
    make their own framework. Although Click still pushes it's early
    feature of ease of use, this is no longer the case when compared to
    other frameworks. Tapestry has now moved on significantly with
    usability being one of the major changes and has added many new features
    such as the built in AJAX in 4.1.

    Wicket: A more widely known framework, a bit like a more mature
    Click. Very similar to Click with more features and a larger support
    community. Both of these mean more testing and maturity. Anyone
    looking at Click for the html components in code way of doing things
    would do better using Wicket.

    Tapestry: Mature, feature rich and Apache supported. Anyone that can
    use Java has no problems with Tapestry. Quite easy to use and in the
    future moving towards having more annotations in code which some say
    increase usability. Personally I think it just clutters things.
    Changes in versions reflect the needs of users. Things such as an
    increased ease of use for new users have been put in past releases,
    current releases are focusing on AJAX integration while future releases
    continue to work on ease of use among other things.

    Swing with Cayenne ROP: My personal favourite in the last few months
    for quick internal CRUD applications. Gives all the advantages of a web
    application with instant AJAX, a quick WYSIWYG interface builder using
    netbeans and Matisse and all the advantages of a native application.
    Start the application with java web start to make deployment and update
    easy, create an exe file or just start with a batch file over the
    network. Works well in an environment where you can control java
    installed versions. Managing the different classes and class names on
    the client and server can be a pain until you have deployments scripts
    worked out but there is hope this might get better into the future. The
    next version of Java is reported to have major advances in Java Web
    Start as well.

    Anyway .... I thought this was a Cayenne list anyway .. not a Click
    pushing list.