ROP [Was: Click Framework 1.0 is now available]

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 19:48:00 EDT

    On Oct 7, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Lindsay Steele wrote:

    > Swing with Cayenne ROP: My personal favourite in the last few
    > months for quick internal CRUD applications. Gives all the
    > advantages of a web application with instant AJAX, a quick WYSIWYG
    > interface builder using netbeans and Matisse and all the
    > advantages of a native application. Start the application with
    > java web start to make deployment and update easy, create an exe
    > file or just start with a batch file over the network. Works well
    > in an environment where you can control java installed versions.
    > Managing the different classes and class names on the client and
    > server can be a pain until you have deployments scripts worked out
    > but there is hope this might get better into the future. The next
    > version of Java is reported to have major advances in Java Web
    > Start as well.

    Yeah, this type of stack is very nice. Although the bad name that is
    stuck to Swing (not entirely undeserved), and too much AJAX hype (not
    entirely deserved) is what holds its adoption. I am also waiting for
    the Web Start improvements.

    > Managing the different classes and class names on the client and
    > server can be a pain until you have deployments scripts worked out
    > but there is hope this might get better into the future.

    Appreciate more feedback on that. We'll certainly be working on
    improving that.

    Also related - 3.0 already has callback functionality discussed here
    recently - this is *the* way to add server-side logic and makes the
    entire ROP stack much more powerful.

    Andrus