Re: Get Connection

From: Marek Wawrzyczny (marek_wawrzyczn..nternode.on.net)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 20:47:25 EDT

    On Sunday 22 October 2006 04:27, Tore Halset wrote:
    > On Oct 21, 2006, at 01:02, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    > > The end result is that all the customisable reports and images can
    > > be managed in the database and edited by the user whenever they
    > > want. Pretty simple, but it works well.
    >
    > Interesting. How are your users editing their reports? Using iReport?
    >
    > - Tore.

    If I remember correctly, Jasper Report editor GUI wasn't really something
    you'd want to expose to the end users. It is possible if you really need to.
    There are really three options:
    1) Expose the Jasper editor GUI - give the user absolute control over the form
    but expect support calls :)
    2) Expose the ability to define values for some keywords - allow them to
    modify the text in areas but not layout
    3) Charge a small fee for creating custom reports for the user and send them
    an import

    In all three cases having the uncompiled report in the database helps as you
    can update them on the run programatically.
    Case 2 is interesting as you could in fact have several templates for an
    invoice say, and construct the final invoice from choices made by the user in
    the application configuration.