Re: DataPort

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 15:44:01 EST

    On 11/15/06, Mike Kienenberger <mkienen..mail.com> wrote:
    > Yes, for straight-foward things, I've been able to use DataPort to
    > convert from Oracle to hsqldb. For other tables, I've used dbunit
    > export and import to xml.

    Manipulating databases in this fashion is not a job that Cayenne
    should take on, IMHO. I made a feeble naive attempt at adding
    downloadable backup/restore support using DataPort in my
    application(converting from any database to Derby), but quickly ran
    into rather hairy issues that showed that DataPort is not the way to
    go for that sort of thing.

    Some sort of interface between Cayenne and some other
    framework(DBunit? Others?) that could handle this type of database
    manipulation might be interesting.

    I'll certainly take DBuint for a spin eventually. Some of the problems
    that I don't see DataPort handling:

    - import/export w/foreign circular foreign keys, generated primary keys, etc.
    - add/remove fields from tables
    - creating a snapshot(backup & restore built into the application
    without using database specific functionality).
    - fixing corrupted database(e.g. duplicate primary keys)

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com