Re: security

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 21:39:12 EST

On 01/02/2007, at 12:11 PM, Carl Mosca wrote:

> Your app makes me wonder how cayenne handles views.

Our application uses the essence of a MVC framework, however we have
created our own basic GUI elements subclassing JTextArea, JButton,
etc, etc. These components have additional property keys which we set
(using the Netbeans Matisse Swing editor) to tie them back to Cayenne
field property keys. Of course events and controllers hold all this
glue together. So, because each GUI component 'knows' what Cayenne
field it maps to, lots of interesting functionality is possible,
including validation display and formatting.

So we could very easily map access control onto these fields without
much drama, but I just can't see how that translates to a usable GUI
with various fields missing or greyed out depending on access rights
to that component. Better for us to look at security from a GUI
perspective (tabs, panels, etc) and be diligent about testing how
that access is enabled across the application. This means that it
effectively has nothing to do with Cayenne.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001