Re: Cayenne Classic vs. Cayenne JPA

From: Randy Leonard (randalleleonar..otmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 08:04:12 EST

    I am now on the user list...

    >Generally yes, as JPA mapping is presumably provider-agnostic.
    I haven't used Dali (or other JPA tools yet), but one motivation for doing
    so would be to gain access to UML round-tripping... where changes in a class
    diagram are reflected in the model, and vice versa. For example, Poseidon's
    Apollo for Eclipse tool allows UML rendering of Cayenne's classes, but
    changes in the UML are not reflected as metadata in the model (e.g. Java
    code). I hope JPA tools would solve this.

    But note JPA tools likely store all model data in annotations, but Cayenne
    does not (e.g. cayenne.xml)... is this a true statement?

    I would hope the industry provides vanilla JPA modelling tools, with the
    possibilty of provider-specific tool-extensions to add provider-specific
    annotations. In this way, the Cayenne community could provide such
    extensions to Dali and/or other tools. In theory, a Cayenne tool could then
    generate the cayenne.xml file from both JPA and Cayenne annotations (or use
    instrumentation to obsolete cayenne.xml?)

    Does this make sense? And if so, could Cayenne-specific annotations
    replicate cayenne.xml metadata in the future?

    I'll jump over to the Dali newsgroup, as well, to ask if any of this makes
    sense from their perspective.

    Thanks,
    Randy