Datanode -> XML

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 05:24:50 EST

    I am looking at a way to export and import data from a Derby
    database. Built into Derby itself is a tool which exports CSV or tab
    delimited data, but this has a range of problems with binary data and
    with compatibility across platforms and different databases, as well
    as across upgrades of the schema.

    Another option is to use Cayenne itself to perform the migration,
    with an XML dataNode as the repository for the data. I know that EOF
    does this sort of thing natively, but I don't believe XML datanodes
    are available in Cayenne. Has anyone attempted something similar with
    one of the JDBC-XML drivers (for example: https://xlsql.dev.java.net/)?

    Speed is likely to be awful, but that is OK for this purpose. It also
    comes to mind that this approach might be a great way to write unit
    tests for our system, testing the code against a standard set of
    sample data.

    Thanks
    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001