Testing the connection

From: Jens Mayer (jens.mayer..mx.de)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 16:23:28 EDT

    In my application, the user has the ability to switch between databases
    (for testing purposes). He gets a little dialog, types in
    user/password/db-name and under the hood, an appropriate
    DataContext is built.

    Works fine, but I want to test the correctness of what he typed in
    BEFORE the next query is performed.

    So I could do that by getting the new DataSource and invoking
    getConnection() with an appropriate Exceptionhandling but that seems to
    be not very smart design.

    Does anyone have a better idea?

    Jens