Re: level 3 caching

From: jerome moliere (jerome.molier..mail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 08:27:13 EDT

    2007/4/19, Peter Schröder <Peter.Schroede..reenet-ag.de>:

    > hi,
    >
    > i am currently investigating the use of cayennes cross jvm caching with
    > jgroups, shown here
    > http://cayenne.apache.org/doc12/object-caching.html
    > and here
    > http://cayenne.apache.org/doc12/configuring-caching-behavior.html
    >
    > my question is, if it is possible to implement a cross-jvm counter, that
    > wont be bitten by concurrency issues.
    >
    > f.e.:
    >
    > synchronized incrementCount(){
    > myObject.setCount(myObject.getCount() + 1)
    > }
    >
    > if properly used, this would be sufficent in a single jvm to avoid issues.
    > can i achieve something like that within level-3-caching?

    for concurrent issues , I highly suggest using the java.util.concurrent or
    (the old package from doug lea if JDK < 1.5) , it provides many high level
    abstractions ( Barrier,Mutex ...) ...

    another way for resolving your problem could be to put in place a JVM
    clustering tier with OpenTerracota...Don't know if someone ever tried with
    Cayenne..I should bring transparent cross JVM caching...

    HTH
    Jerome

    --
    Jerome Moliere - Mentor/J