RE: UTF8 problem

From: Fredrik Liden (flide..ranslate.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 14:10:34 EDT

    Hi Marco,

    I'm guessing the text is stored correctly as UTF-8 in the database.
    The "Ã " symbol showing up instead of "à" indicates that it's stored as UTF-8 but reading or displaying it as windows-1252 (western european).

    Type "sfasdfasdfasdà" in notepad. Save it as UTF-8.
    Then in the bottom right corner change the encoding to Western European. You'll see "sfasdfasdfasdà "

    If you're viewing it in a Webpage, the first thing I would check is make sure that in the browser the "view -> encoding is set to UTF-8 and not Western European or something else. If utf-8 and still not showing up correctly somewhere along the lines you'd need to specify to JDBC to fetch it as UTF-8. Let me know how it goes as I need UTF-8 support in my next app.

    Fredrik