Re: performing count

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 03:30:59 EDT

    Hi there,

    >> We do have utility classes already, like DataObjectUtils (which are
    >> mainly containers for static methods -- aka functions). This
    >> would be
    >> a "real" class (or extension of an existing class), though.
    >
    > I am with Matt on the point that any new utility should preferably
    > stay within the well understood framework concepts. A query that
    > runs itself is definitely NOT something Cayenne has ever done. I
    > think we can squeeze it in the current framework, tweaking what has
    > been already proposed - a CountQuery, by adding a new method to
    > DataObjectUtils: intValueForQuery (analogous to existing
    > "objectForQuery"). So one can do:
    >
    > Query q = new CountQuery(Artist.class, qualfier);
    > int count = DataObjectUtils.intValueForQuery(context, q);

    It'd be worth adding support for not only count but avg, max, min,
    sum operations on keys... like: people..vg.age.

    Maybe the class I posted beforehand could be easily morphed into such
    a query helper(?).

    I think the query needs to return 1 object in the list of results
    which is a Number rather than returning a Map where there's an
    element with key 'C' (which is fine for sql template operations but
    I'd have thought the point of a stats helper would be to abstract
    that kind of stuff.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck