Cayenne Generated Classes in Web Service API

From: Michael Lepine (mikelepin..mail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 11:35:41 EDT

    This may be off topic but hopefully it's not considered to be.

    I am researching options for creating a web services-based API for our
    company's flagship product. The data model backing the application has quite
    a few tables. A lot of the functionality we want to support involves
    exporting or importing entities with multiple one-to-many relationships with
    other tables.

    My planned approach was to suck in the schema and generate the Java classes
    with Cayenne, which would do all the hard work for me related to creating
    beans with the proper one-to-many relationships. This (of course) worked
    great.

    The second part of my plan was to use the Cayenne-generated Java classes in
    my Web Services API. I figured that by using those classes in the API, the
    generated WSDL for my service would include a schema definition of the
    objects (and all relationships) saving me a lot of time. I'm using AXIS2
    from Apache to generate and run the service, and the WSDL does not include a
    full definition of the Cayenne classes as I'd hoped.

    I was wondering if anyone else is using Cayenne-generated Java classes in
    Web Services that they've written and if so, did you do anything
    special? Were there any issues that you encountered. Any advice that may
    help?

    - Mike