Re: creating/saving transient objects to database

From: Michael Gentry (blacknex..mail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 09:00:20 EDT

    We had something similar here where a batch job needed to read a data file
    and insert new records or update existing records (handle duplicates,
    essentially). What we did was:

    * Read the data file, find the key data.
    * Write and call a getFoo(dataContext, keys) method.
    * The getFoo() method would query the database and if it found a record, it
    would return the Cayenne object to us. If no record was found, it would
    create and register a new object in the DC and return the new object.
    * Then we'd apply all the data in the data file to the object return by
    getFoo().
    * Then dataContext.commitChanges().
    * Repeat until we processed all the data.

    Seemed to work pretty well and I think that approach would work for you,
    too, most likely. In your case, your POJO is the equivalent of a record in
    our data file. This also frees you up from having to care about the
    persistence state. You don't care. You have an object, apply the changes,
    commit.

    /dev/mrg

    PS. If relationships are involved, your getFoo() should create all the
    objects for all of the required relationships if you have to create/register
    new objects (when there was no DB match). This way your main processing
    code can just apply changes blindly without having to check if the
    relationships exist.