Re: Automatically managing last_modif_date and modified_by columns

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2007 - 16:19:39 EDT

    On 22/06/2007, at 7:41 PM, Thomas Gilbert wrote:

    > Using Cayenne (2.0) I'm trying to put in place the following
    > mechanism:
    > <...>
    > I would like to automatically change de last_modif_date and
    > modified_by columns whenever an update is done on a records (e.g.
    > when setBlabla() is called).
    > I already tried to use DataContextDelegate like this
    >
    > public boolean shouldMergeChanges(DataObject object, DataRow
    > snapshotInStore)
    > {
    > if (object instanceof ScmsCase)
    > {
    > ((ScmsCase)object).setLastModificationDate(new Date());
    > ((ScmsCase)object).setModifiedBy(m_szUserID);
    > }
    > return true;
    > }
    >
    > The hook is called when needed but the changes does not seem to be
    > committed. Also note that finishedMergeChanges is not triggered.
    >
    > Is it the right way to achieve this ? Are they other ways ?

    Though modifications are discouraged in validateForSave that's
    another option short of utilising the Lifecycle callbacks in 3.0.
    Note that the lifecycle callbacks have to be enabled manually at this
    time... though hopefully in the (near) future they'll become part of
    the normal operations of Data/ObjectContexts.

    See bottom of: http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/lifecycle-callbacks.html

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck