Re: Open interface

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 09:30:55 EDT

    I see two ways to go about it.

    1. First, quick and dirty, is to not use ROP. Just create your own
    web service with specific query methods, and serialize the results to
    XML via Cayenne XML package (or some other way).

    2. Second is what Ari just described. Objective C client is using
    Hessian protocol (just as Java). You may use that or try to build
    upon the ROP-WSDL done as a part of Summer of Code 2006 by a student:

        http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/soc/trunk/cayenne-ropwsdl/

    This exposes ROP server as a WSDL, so this is sort of a standard
    extension protocol and it may (or may not?) be easier to get the
    client going.

    First option should work for most apps, as long as the client logic
    is not too complex and you do not need to commit object graphs from
    the client. The second option provides maximum client power, but
    would also require some serious dedication to implement.

    Andrus