Introducing Gozer - Extending DataViews

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2007 - 11:22:27 EDT

    Hello list

    I'd like to introduce the project code-named Gozer to you. Gozer is
    currently a proof of concept project where we try to take the idea of the
    existing DataViews, to mix them with other ideas (XUL), and to find out
    what would be possible and what would make sense.

    Our main question was how we could extend Cayenne so that we can bind
    DataObjects to Swing elements without having to code the whole UI for
    every new frame or dialog. We also noticed that building frames with
    multiple Swing components (which are in relation with each other) required
    us to load several DataViews, separate DataObjectLists, etc.

    We somehow always banged our heads against the ceiling (like we say over
    here). So we designed Gozer with that goal: Quick and easy, data bound UI
    generation with as few lines of code as possible.

    We added some information about the current prototype of Gozer to our
    Wiki. The example is far away from being complete, but you should be able
    to get the general picture:

    <http://somap.wiki.sourceforge.net/design_sobfv2_gozer>

    Now I would like to get your feedback. If you have a question or some
    comment to make, please drop me a note.

    Regards,
    Adrian