Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 11:13:55 EDT

    On Sep 14, 2007, at 6:36 PM, Gilberto C Andrade wrote:
    > Are you saying that I can use cayenne 3 (but just 3.0M2 release)?

    Yes. Still if you are limited to JDK 1.4, I would strongly recommend
    to stay on 2.0.x (see below).

    > As we are beginning with cayenne, what features does version 3 have
    > that
    > make it better than 2.0.3?

    My favorite new features are lifecycle callbacks and pluggable query
    cache. Out of the things that are coming post M2 I would single out
    vertical inheritance. But consider that:

    (a) 2.0.x is mature Cayenne API that's been used by many people in
    production for a number of years, so it is quite capable, never mind
    the new bells and whistles.
    (b) 2.0.x is stable *now*.
    (c) 2.0.x is supported on JDK 1.4, i.e. bugs will be fixed if found;
    while you may find yourself in a situation when have to backport bug
    fixes to 3.0M2 from the later 3.0 milestones.
    (d) Migration from 2.0.x to 3.0 down the road is expected to be
    fairly straightforward. Stable core API and easy upgrades is one of
    the things we are very proud of (still worth checking the 3.0 RELEASE-
    NOTES from time to time for deprecated API to stay away from it. Two
    notable things are "derived" entities, and DataContext events).

    >> http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> Note that I haven't tried this myself, and will be curious to hear
    >> the
    >> results if somebody does.
    > We thought about it some time ago, but we didn't have enough knowledge
    > to put something like that in production and support it.
    > But I think in our situation this may happen and sure we will try
    > report
    > the results to the mail list.

    True - IMO that should be used as a last resort.

    Andrus